Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Nierjerson Nierjerson at somewhere.com
Fri Apr 12 15:25:05 UTC 2019

On Friday, 12 April 2019 at 14:30:53 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 07:35:05AM +0000, Tofu Kaitlyn via
> Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
>> I honestly feel like D is a failure.
> [...]
>> I duno... what do yall think? Is D going to somehow explode in
>> popularity in 5-10 years?
> [...]
>
> There lies the problem: you're equating success with
> popularity.  They can be correlated, to some extent, but they
> are certainly not the same thing.
>
> Personally, I couldn't care less about popularity. After what
> I've seen in the industry over the past 2-3 decades, I've
> become very cynical about popularity.  What I *do* care for is
> a language with strong technical merit. D has that, to some
> extent -- I'm not going to pretend D is perfect either, as I do
> find a lot to be desired in it.  But it's much better than the
> alternatives I've tried, so for the time being, it's my
> language of choice.
>
> But obviously, YMMV.

And this is the problem. Those hard core users like yourself that
pretend that popularity doesn't matter. What are you going to do
in 10-15 years(depending on how old you are) when Walter is
dead(isn't he like 70 now?) or simply cares even less about D and
moves on to dying? Popularity is what grows something.  You might
not care about it, but without it D is definitely dead and it is
just a matter of time.

So many users here think "I like D and it is good enough for me"
not realizing that not catering to the masses is putting nails in
the coffin.

See, most of you guys think that your experiences actually matter
to the rest of the world, yet you won't even begin to accept
their experiences. You think if it's this or that then it is.

MOST programmers are not you, you are the exception! You have an
exceptional language and it will die and exceptional death. You
think you are getting a great deal... D is great. But you don't
realize it could be so much better. Imagine having 100k
programmers using D, how much shit they would add to it. Better
IDE's, better libraries, better performance, better stability,
etc.

Yeah, you can ignore popularity if it it's meaningless. It just
shows your ignorance or your selfishness or both.

Once the popularity of D = 0 D is dead. That is a fact. Do you
want D dead? or do you like playing risky games? If you think D
is so great then why would you not want it to be more popular? If
D is better then C++ in every regard then why would you not want
everyone using D instead of C++?

See, your perceptions are illogical and detrimental to the very
thing you claim to like. You haven't really thought it all the
way through. You've got to the point "It works great for me" and
have stopped there. You are not the average programmer. Also, you
alone cannot make D better.

It takes a village and you are scoffing at that idea like it is
meaningless when it is absolute reality. All you are really doing
is putting the nails in the coffin by contributing to that
mentality. D has grown at a snails pace... as many new people
entering in to the community, many leave. This mean's D is not
really growing and without growth there is only death.

The die hard fan boys scoff at the idea of doing anything that
makes D commercially appealing like having a great IDE and
debugger, or making error messages make sense(such as with
templates that just spew out nonsense over and over requiring one
to spend more than a few seconds to figure out what is going on
UNLESS they have been programming in D for a few years(which
means most people will give up on D pretty quick). Proper
libraries that draw people in and work properly so that they do
not experience problems which then causes them to exit.

D will not survive another decade at the rate it is going. If you
truly care about it as much as you say then you might want to
take heed and at least make sure I'm not right. Of course, in a
decade you will have quit using D because some better language
will have come out that does everything you want over D(after
all, you know there are things about D you do not like)... but
someone else will fill your place and say the same nonsense like
"D is great, Does everything for me, I don't care about
popularity!" as if we are talking about a popularity contest then
what what is really mean, which is the growth of D in to a real
force in the programming world. You would think Walter, of all
people, would care about such things but he seems to be like you.

D is dead, at least it is on deaths door, you can stick your head
in the sand and pretend it isn't, the mere fact these topics come
up over and over proves it. You don't see C++ having such topics
in any serious manner. It's the industrial standard. Maybe in 10
years it will start to happen, but D has had this conversation
over 5 years ago.

See, it is not that D itself is a bad language, it is that the
whole atmosphere surrounding it, how it is managed, is the
problem. Some things are done well but others poorly, eventually
those things that are neglected will catch up because the
community seems to care not one bit about them. The cracks are
getting bigger and bigger, I'm sorry you can't see them.