Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 15:49:48 UTC 2019

On Friday, 12 April 2019 at 11:52:18 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Friday, 12 April 2019 at 09:56:48 UTC, Nierjerson wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Well, what can I say that hasn't been said before (including
> this thread)? Since I said good-bye to D last year my
> productivity has increased incredibly. I read a few days ago
> that Joakim had left the community (he once asked me why my
> attitude had changed so drastically). And you know what, it
> made me kinda sad. Do things like that even register with the D
> Foundation  and / or community? One answer was "this would be
> an excellent topic for this year's GSoC", which is a total and
> utter lack of respect (although I hasten to say that I think
> the poster wasn't aware of this and didn't intend it this way).
> It has never occurred to the D leadership that Android and iOS
> are more important to developers than introducing yet another
> RefFancyTemplateCTFERangeAllocator which is memory safe, but
> not really, but it will be after DIP2001.
>
> [...]

I understand your feeling, but I think that D is approaching a
pivotal point: the recent post of Andrei and Walter on the forum
are fresh air to breath...

On one point I agree: It's time to get rid of all the wrong
decisions done in the past, and simplify the language, founding
it over the strong points learned from D2.

It's time for D3.

- Paolo