Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 16:23:04 UTC 2019

On Friday, 12 April 2019 at 15:46:45 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Friday, 12 April 2019 at 14:44:06 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> The blame is constantly put on the user "your expectations
>> were too high, what did you expect?". It doesn't occur to
>> anyone that the completely chaotic language development may
>> turn people off? As you mentioned (high) expectations, you're
>> indirectly admitting that D is sub-substandard. "D is great!
>> But don't expect too much!" That's funny.
>
> The ecosystem may be. But what is standard? Are Qt bindings
> standard? Can I have them for java, C# and javascript? And PHP.
> With visual designers for all of them. And it must be
> effortless too.

Qt it's covering it's field pretty well...

PHP? You can stream a QT UI from an embedded ARM device to you
iPad via WebGL *right now*: it's covering the need to use it from
a browser.

Javascript? Qt QML can use javascript libraries,  *right now*:
it's covering the need to use the enormous amount of JS code for
spice the UI

Qt bindings for C# Java? For what usage? Qt has python bindings
since long time, and they are now official supported bindings
till 5.12, the LTS release: they are covering QT usage from the
enormous ecosystem that's python.

The visual designer part of the QT Creator is not perfect, but
I've used it personally to design the UI of a PySide (PyQT) SQL
application more than *ten years ago*: they are covering the
Designer needs.

With a clever modification of C++ (signal / slot) and a clever,
consistent *battery included* standard library (yes, the "old
way" of thinking about standard libraries) they are simply
dominating a huge market...

- P