Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Fri Apr 12 16:42:46 UTC 2019

On 12.04.19 17:25, Nierjerson wrote:

> Yeah, you can ignore popularity if it it's meaningless.

That seems obvious.

> It just shows your ignorance or your selfishness or both.

Right, because supporting an open source language and toolchain is so
selfish and ignorant. I won't try to force you to use it for your own
good. If that's selfish, so be it.

> Once the popularity of D = 0 D is dead. That is a fact.

As long as I am using it, the popularity of D ≠ 0. Fact.
(In fact, D has plenty of users.)

> If you think D is so great

It's fine, not great, but better than would-be competitors for my
current use cases.

> then why would you not want it to be more popular?

When everything else is the same, having more users is a liability.
In any case, if you want to invest time and effort into a marketing
campaign, be my guest. I'm not actively opposed to popularity, even
though it would probably further diminish the average quality of
discourse on the forums.

> If D is better then C++ in every regard

(That's not even close to what anyone in this thread claimed.)

> then why would you not want everyone using D instead
> of C++?

Competitive advantage.

> See, your perceptions are illogical and detrimental to the very thing
> you claim to like.

D is a tool. You are arguing as if it was a person whom I wish to marry.