Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

JN 666total at wp.pl
Fri Apr 12 18:07:10 UTC 2019

On Friday, 12 April 2019 at 13:50:42 UTC, SrMordred wrote:
> On Friday, 12 April 2019 at 08:02:30 UTC, JN wrote:
>> more behind the scenes, around the same level of popularity as
>> Nim, Crystal.
>
> Since i think this is a talk about popularity...
>
> I feel that Nim and Crystal have WAY more adoption/popularity
> than D, but im not sure if both are backed by any great group
> (like Rust).
>
> So I think a good point to focus this discussion is, why Nim
> and Crystal got the lead in popularity but not D?

I disagree. Crystal doesn't even have Windows support. Nim is
very obscure, it rarely pops up even on Reddit. It might seem
like they have a lot going on for it, because both are developed
in a very open source way. Everything is done on Github, there's
a ton of packages and most users are open source enthusiasts. A
lot of D activity is done here in forums and in bugzilla, a lot
of code is used in proprietary projects so you don't hear about
every single application that got created with D.