Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Nierjerson Nierjerson at somewhere.com
Fri Apr 12 18:13:49 UTC 2019

On Friday, 12 April 2019 at 16:42:46 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 12.04.19 17:25, Nierjerson wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, you can ignore popularity if it it's meaningless.
>
> That seems obvious.
>
>> It just shows your ignorance or your selfishness or both.
>
> Right, because supporting an open source language and toolchain
> is so selfish and ignorant. I won't try to force you to use it
> for your own good. If that's selfish, so be it.

Um, I didn't say that. I said that if you only support the
language features that you use then it is selfishness. There is a
difference, you are trying to warp what I said to suit your
beliefs.

What I'm saying is that there are a lot of D users that use D for
X... and people that use it for Y and have Y-issues are
irrelevant for these people. For them, because D does X well they
are happy, and they careless about the other users. That is
selfishness.

>> Once the popularity of D = 0 D is dead. That is a fact.
>
> As long as I am using it, the popularity of D ≠ 0. Fact.
> (In fact, D has plenty of users.)

And you fail to realize it doesn't have to be 0 to be practically
dead. It's a theoretical statement and all theoretical statements
constrain reality. I mean, are you going to make me spell out
every little detail just to prove you wrong? Do we have to figure
out exactly how many users D requires to not end up dead?

>> If you think D is so great
>
> It's fine, not great, but better than would-be competitors for
> my current use cases.

My point above. For YOU. You care less about other users and
their use cases. D is fine for you, so why do you want to keep it
bad for others rather than help it work for them too? That is
very selfish.

>> then why would you not want it to be more popular?
>
> When everything else is the same, having more users is a
> liability.

True, but one can make such blanket statements about everything.
It's nonsensical in practice because nothing can ever be the
same. The amount of manhours that are invested in D is
proportional to the "popularity". By forcing everything else the
same you remove that condition and so it then becomes pointless.

This isn't a business selling things where the more customers are
more liability because one can just raise the prices of their
product to decrease the customers but maintain the same revenue.
There isn't a trade off here with D's community. The larger the
community the more investment those people put in to D and that
helps D as a language and compiler grow and that helps everyone
that uses it and draws in more people who invest more time.

These people invest their time willingly, they don't have to pay
anything else for it. There is a huge difference.

> In any case, if you want to invest time and effort into a
> marketing campaign, be my guest. I'm not actively opposed to
> popularity, even though it would probably further diminish the
> average quality of discourse on the forums.

Popularity automatically does not cause problems. It is the state
of the human race that causes the problems. If the logic is "We
don't want D popular because it will cause problems in the
forums" then D is shooting itself in the head. There are ways to
alleviate such problems so one doesn't have to sacrifice one for
the other.

The logic then should be "Ok, we need to build a larger community
for D, we know it that this will generally create a problem A.
How can we minimize the effects of A"?

This is basic calculus. Even computer scientists deal with
min/max type of problems. You don't throw the baby out with the
bath water, you find a balanced solution that gives the results
one wants. Meaning one finds appropriate solutions for the
appropriate problems.

>> If D is better then C++ in every regard
>
> (That's not even close to what anyone in this thread claimed.)

That is why I said "IF" it was a hypothetical.

>> then why would you not want everyone using D instead of C++?
>
> Competitive advantage.
>
>> See, your perceptions are illogical and detrimental to the
>> very thing you claim to like.
>
> D is a tool. You are arguing as if it was a person whom I wish
> to marry.

lol, I do not think I was posting to you specifically.

In some ways it is someone you wish to marry, or you already have.

How many years have you invested with D? Seriously, when you are
on your death bed those years might mean something. Your time
should be important too you and so wasting it on things you don't
take seriously will only harm you. It is your choice to live your
life that way but, for example, you shouldn't marry the first
broad that you see because that is years of your life that are
"wasted"(in the sense that if you could spend them better). Most
people though just accept whatever and they end up paying for
you. You can't get the time back so why not make sure it is
invested well?