Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

silentwatcher silentwatcher at aol.com
Sat Apr 13 05:27:31 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 13 April 2019 at 03:46:51 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 4/12/2019 5:25 PM, Suleyman wrote:
>> I think the problem with D is that it started getting a mass
>> adoption and this requires a bigger management, for example:
>> regular user polls, prioritization, concentration of efforts,
>> friendly contribution guides, time limits on issue
>> resolutions, regular health stats, coordination with sponsors,
>> maybe even a podcast especially for what would be a lightning
>> for introducing libraries and new features... etc. D is no
>> longer a niche language and this is a problem.
>
> Something you can do to help is as I said - when you see other
> languages mentioned, mention D. It helps a lot more than you
> might think.

great, you are avoiding to talk about the problems again.
how about:
The sole reason that D has failed is the management of D has
failed... and, of course, they will never accept that truth. They
believe their methods are correct and working and the failure is
not due to them. D is actually an old language and there are many
new languages popping up like weeds... eventually D will not be
so shiny and more and it will just become another weed. That is
already happening actually.  As many languages modify their
designs to include what was great about D, D becomes less
attractive.

or

Now there is talk of re-writing D, after the umpteenth half baked
feature was introduced. We'll see, we'll see. IMO, the trouble
really started when the D Foundation was set up. Instead of
streamlining and stabilizing D, the whole thing turned into a
closed shop with a "Hey, we are the lads" kinda attitude, and any
CS theory or fashion of the day would finally be half baked into
the language without a second thought. Without paying attention
to users and the answer to complaints would be "we want to turn D
into a functional style memory safe [...] language, that's why we
had to introduce RefFancy, so eff your code!", except it still
isn't and RefFancy has to be removed or replaced! Who would have
guessed it would be at loggerheads with FancyRange!?

or

And apart from all the fancy feature madness, there's this
arrogant attitude towards users. To avoid criticism my words were
twisted in such an obvious and blatant way that it was just
ridiculous. And what's really funny is that mistakes made by the
leadership, and the leadership alone, are now being socialized as
in "the community this, the community that, and this has to
change!". Ah, give me a break.

or

See, it is not that D itself is a bad language, it is that the
whole atmosphere surrounding it, how it is managed, is the
problem. Some things are done well but others poorly, eventually
those things that are neglected will catch up because the
community seems to care not one bit about them. The cracks are
getting bigger and bigger, I'm sorry you can't see them.

or

On one point I agree: It's time to get rid of all the wrong
decisions done in the past, and simplify the language, founding
it over the strong points learned from D2.
It's time for D3.

or

The attitude "We will not cater to the mass of moron programmers"
has hurt D, possibly been the one thing that is killing it.

or ....