Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 09:16:09 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 13 April 2019 at 08:28:37 UTC, Tofu Kaitlyn wrote:

> I try to! I try to stick up for D every chance I get... but
> honestly at this point it is starting to get a little
> embarrassing to do so. I have been using D for 7 years and been
> trying to tell people how awesome it is... but after so long
> and still almost nobody is using it... it kinda makes you
> wonder what's the point, why do I keep trying? Im not really
> good enough to contribute to the compiler or make some fancy
> new library or something.. but I love D and want people to love
> it too, that's why I find it so sad D is in the place it is.
>
> When I started using D I was in my freshman year at university,
> back then it looked like D had a real chance of becoming a
> replacement for C++... now I feel like D has almost no chance
> compared to back then...
>
> It just feels sad

I don't know what your definition of "almost nobody" is, but the
number one library on code.dlang.org right now is vibe.d, with
the following stats:

488 downloads today

3402 downloads this week

12354 downloads this month

390085 downloads total

Look through the list. One of my packages, DerelictSDL2, has the
following stats:

95 downloads today

521 downloads this week

2286 downloads this month

89247 downloads total

 From my perspective, that's plenty of people.

Also, any expectation that D will be "a replacement for C++" is
just misguided. No language is going to replace C++. It's an
*alternative* to C++. And a good one. It's that philosophy that
drives the ABI compatibility with both C and C++. We don't need D
implementations of libraries that have years of development,
debugging, testing and maintenance behind them when we can just
interop with the existing ones. The ability to implement a new
component or tool in D and be able to link with an existing
codebase and libraries that the team are already familiar with is
a big deal.

D's doing just fine. It's been slowly and steadily growing. Not
fast enough for some folks, and that's fine. We've recently
started quarterly D Foundation meetings involving foundation
members and representatives from D shops. At the first meeting,
we had the companies everyone knows about--Dunhumby
(Sociomantic), Funkwerk, WekaIO, and Symmetry. At the second
meeting, we added representatives from three companies you
probably haven't heard of. Our third meeting is happening at
DConf. I'll be blogging about all of this very soon and will talk
about what's coming out of these meetings.

My advice is to get a little perspective. You have your own
bubble in your own slice of the internet and your own slice of
the real world. That you don't see or hear much about D in your
bubble is not evidence that no one else is seeing or hearing
about it.

Every post I public-facing post I publish on the D blog gets
shared on reddit. Some generate discussions, some do not. But
there's been a big difference since I first started managing the
blog. Initially, every post I shared attracted trolls eager to
bash D on principle and most posts were lucky to get over a 60%
upvote rate. Now, the trolls rarely appear, the upvote rate tends
to hover between 70-90%, and the total number of upvotes often
goes over 50 (I used to think 30 was a lucky day). The most
recent, a highlight of DPP, got 75 total votes and a 86% upvote
rate:

https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/bas2my/dpp_include_c_and_c_headers_directly_in_your_d/

That post has generated just over 1,000 views in the 5 days since
it was published. The post on memoization in D that I published
at the end of March only got 32 upvotes at reddit and a 76%
upvote rate (and again, no trolls bashing it in the reddit
thread), but it's had just shy of 15,000 page views:

https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/b7augl/memoization_in_the_d_programming_language/

My point is that, yes, people are hearing about D and, from my
perspective in my bubble, the positive messages and curiosity are
outweighing the negativity.

People don't have to like D. That's fine. I respect some folks
are unhappy and now and again will vocally express their critical
opinions. That's a fact of life. But there are plenty of people
who are happy (or at least satisfied) and who are using it both
commercially and personally. Our focus needs to be on retaining
them. We will lose some along the way, because not everyone will
agree with every priority or every decision, or with the
management process, or whatever. But improvements are happening,
will continue to happen, and the language will be better for it.
It's already better today than it was 5 years ago, or even 5
years before that. As it continues to improve, it will appeal to
more people and some of them will become contributors to help
make it even better.

And it may sound like a broken record, but we always need
contributors. The bigger we get, the more we need. And there are
never enough. We've got a new initative that has come out of the
quarterly meetings that is one step to address that (I'm not
ready to announce it just yet) and the ongoing fundraising
campaigns are another (and note that donations to the Pull
Request Manager campaign have slowed:
https://www.flipcause.com/secure/cause_pdetails/NDUwNTY=).

D does not have the backing of a cash-laden organization, as
someone pointed out earlier, so like it or not, it is a language
where there's still a lot of DIY. Anyone expecting fully featured
IDEs, native graphics libs, parity with languages like Rust,
Swift, C#, etc..., is in the wrong place. There are some fair
criticisms to be made about management, but that isn't one of
them. Resources, resources, resources. One must either
contribute, accept the status quo, or move on. Meanwhile, those
who are contributing continue to do so, some for free some for
compensation, but all because they accept that if they don't do
it, it won't get done.

I've been following D since 2003 and using it since 2004. When I
look back over the stretch of time, I can't help but see D as a
success. I'm doing what I can to make it more so.