Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Apr 14 00:00:46 UTC 2019

On 4/13/2019 3:12 PM, Nierjerson wrote:
 > Ok, I'm going to step up and take a role, right here right now:
 >
 > 1. You need to find someone who will create two things:

 > No point in me giving too many of my thoughts because it is a task for you to do

 > 2. You and your team need to

 > Basically you guys need to

 > So, you and your team need to

 > It means that you simply have to structure things

 > I do hope you can figure this out.

This is not stepping up, it's giving me a list of action items. I have an action
item for you:

* Find something great on your list of action items and do it!

---

Allow me to explain a couple things.

This is not a business. There's some paid work going on, but not a whole lot
because there isn't a lot of funding. A good compiler engineer would get
$500,000/yr. We just don't have a lot of money.

This means relying on volunteers. The fun thing about volunteers is you can't
tell them what to do. A normal occurrence is people ask me what to work on. I
present a list A, B, C, D, and the person then does H. Why? Because H interests
them.

You might think, what a mess. In many ways that's true. On the other hand,
working on D is a MARVELOUS opportunity for anyone who wants to jumpstart their
career.

For example, take Iain Buclaw. He single-handedly, doggedly, and indefatigably
improved GDC (which had been abandoned) to the point where it was accepted by
and officially incorporated into the Gnu Compiler Collection. This is a
monumental, career-making achievement. It's the only thing he ever needs to
write on his resume. He's a made man.

Many D contributors have leveraged their work on D into high paying jobs that
were otherwise closed to them.

I'm very proud of these fellows and their achievements. I'm honored that D was
the route to their success. The opportunity is here with D for anyone else who
wants to learn and show the world what they can do.