Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

silentwatcher silentwatcher at aol.com
Sun Apr 14 05:35:41 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 04:48:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

i think there are some other things you don't understand yet.
they think it should be forked.
you guys made lab experiment of it instead of finding out what
the real world programming needs. why are people dissatisfied?
stop finding all those mediocre things/solutions like help here
or do that. i admire the gdc project but i would not use it.
my experience is, that programmers (at work) look at D and are
afraid of using it. to large, to many features that are nice but
nobody needs, web like syntax, the GC and after reading in the
forum, they are even more afraid to use an unstructured
experiment.
then there no tools, libraries etc., just visuald and that is the
only reason why some try D for a short time.
well now will tell us again - write the tools/libraries, but in a
business you don't have the time to do that. all those things
come with c++, c# or java. why should i invest time and money
into D?
no time to experiment.
i like D, followed it for a long, long time, but it turned into a
moloch. some of us still use D1 for little tasks. i hope somebody
takes D1, strips the gc, adds templates, cleans up this mess and
forgets about the rest of the bloat.