Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 14 08:33:29 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 08:21:38 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Also, upending the code base with large changes and
> reorganizations is not likely to get incorporated, and be aware
> that people can and do disagree strongly about what constitutes
> improvement and what doesn't. When in doubt, do a small version
> and see how it goes.

The DMD codebase suffers from systemic misorganisation, both on
the massive function level, and the complete lack of organisation
of the files in the source directory. Small change are never
going to fix those issues.

You are trying to find a local optimum, we need to find a more
global one, and that involves doing things like
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/9511#discussion_r270614236