Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Laeeth Isharc laeeth at kaleidic.io
Sun Apr 14 09:42:01 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 05:35:41 UTC, silentwatcher wrote:
> On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 04:48:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>
> i think there are some other things you don't understand yet.
> why they think it should be forked.
> you guys made lab experiment of it instead of finding out what
> the real world programming needs. why are people dissatisfied?
> stop finding all those mediocre things/solutions like help here
> or do that. i admire the gdc project but i would not use it.
> my experience is, that programmers (at work) look at D and are
> afraid of using it. to large, to many features that are nice
> but nobody needs, web like syntax, the GC and after reading in
> the forum, they are even more afraid to use an unstructured
> experiment.
> then there no tools, libraries etc., just visuald and that is
> the only reason why some try D for a short time.
> well now will tell us again - write the tools/libraries, but in
> a business you don't have the time to do that. all those things
> come with c++, c# or java. why should i invest time and money
> into D?
> no time to experiment.
> i like D, followed it for a long, long time, but it turned into
> a moloch. some of us still use D1 for little tasks. i hope
> somebody takes D1, strips the gc, adds templates, cleans up
> this mess and forgets about the rest of the bloat.

Maintenance constitutes the largest part of the total cost of
ownership of code.  In other words when the code is 'finished'
then you have made only a down-payment.

If you don't want to invest your own time into working with D,
then I don't think you should.  I wouldn't dream of trying to
change your mind.  But there's clearly some ambivalence there
because why else would you be posting.

The most important aspects of D might be the values and good
taste.  When I decided to learn D, there was nothing calculating
about it - I just wanted to find a language I could stand to
program in because otherwise I wouldn't be doing much programming
as life is too short and it's not my only interest.  One thing
led to another and working from my home office led to consulting
and then being in charge of technology and part of research for a
150 odd person firm.  I don't know, and it's a longer story but
probably that wouldn't have happened if I hadn't been drawn to D.

Turns out also that the values that characterise the language and
the community are peculiarly suitable for the commercial context
of what's still an early stage firm that has grown very quickly.

It's true that there's a high barrier to entry in the beginning
with D - much better now, but if you are put off by discomfort
and needing to figure things out for yourself then it's going to
be quite a tough experience.  D doesn't place a high value on
being accessible and if that's what is important then maybe
somewhere else would be a better fit.  On the other hand it's
also a moat that constitutes a filter - as it happens
commercially people who are okay with being uncomfortable, with
having to figure stuff out, are quite a good fit for our
business, especially at the stage we are at.

It's a really very big world, not like it was when I started to
learn to program in 1983.  Most software is developed by private
organisations that don't talk much about what they are doing.

I never thought that D would be considered a  substitute for Ada
and Pascal but that's been the case in one quite interesting
commercial application for ship design.  Similarly for us D - and
a little functional domain specific language written in D - has
been a replacement for Excel spreadsheets and SQL reports.

Brutal upfront sometimes, but the upfront emotional experience is
the least important part of the cost of developing and
maintaining software.

The productivity experience has a different profile too - you
spend time at different points on different things, but looking
at our own experience from a commercially perspective I really
don't think it would have been possible to be as productive
taking a different route.

There are quite a lot of libraries now - 1500 last I checked on
code.dlang.org

Calling python libraries is easy and calling C libraries using
DPP is also easy.  DPP keeps improving and in time it will handle
much more of C++ headers.

Yes - the tolerance for experimentation is an important question.
  In firms where there isn't much of a tolerance for experimenting
and for some of those experiments to fail then it's probably not
the right environment to use D.  But I think the more interesting
places to work are quite different.