DUB - call to arms

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Sun Apr 14 10:53:17 UTC 2019

Hi all,

The problem
-----------

I think this is well-known, but I still highly encourage you all
to have a look at this thread:

https://forum.dlang.org/thread/eftttpylxanvxjhoigqu@forum.dlang.org?page=1

or the issue tracker:

https://github.com/dlang/dub/issues

tl;dr: the status quo of dub is really really terrible:

- tons of issues (often unanswered)
- __critical__ piece of infrastructure
- less than a PR per month

I had to use Cargo the other day and compiling 80 (!)
dependencies was a
miracle (parallel fetching and builds).

We want the D ecosystem to grow and flourish and I don't think I
have to
stress how important a good package manager is for this.

What can we do?
---------------

We have about $6k in our OpenCollective budget [1] (there's still
the
$3k that we owe WebFreak) which means we have about $3k left.
I propose to use this as a starting base to fund serious work
on Dub (see the forum thread for a few ideas).

I believe that with the D community pitching in and a few
companies
(they complain about dub too), we could get about $10k for this
effort.

Now, of course, the question is what can we do to improve Dub's
status quo?

It would be amazing if we could hire Martin or Sönke (even if
it's only
part-time), but unfortunately as far as I am aware that's not an
option
as both are pretty busy these days.

[1] https://opencollective.com/dlang/

Proposed actionable
-------------------

Hence, here's my proposal:

Publish a blog post analog to this "Calls to arms for Dub". The
post could

- summarize the reasons why funding dub is so crucial
- what the biggest problems of dub are (i.e. the issues that we
would
target first)
- announce that we start a new funding round (with $3k already
seeded
from OC)
- maybe some companies are willing to pitch in too (e.g.
Symmetry, Funkwerk, Sociomantic, ...)
- put out a call open for anyone to apply for this project

The exact details on payment and expectations would need to be
specified, but I guess we should be able to fund roughly three
months of work. OTOH we can leave these details open to the
applicants as students might be willing to work for $10k for
three months, but experienced software engineers might not. Also,
some people probably could only afford to work part-time on these
which imho would be fine too.

@community:

1) Would this be sth. you would consider applying in general? If
not what could we do to improve this?
2) Would this be sth. you would consider donating to?

For completeness, my personal favorite items for this would be
sth. like:

- parallel dependency downloads and builds (dub could and should
be a lot faster)
- option to emit only include flags (for good integration in
other tools)
- "dub install"
- dub watch (there's a PR that needs to be revived -
https://github.com/dlang/dub/pull/446)
- colored error messages (there's already a PR that just needs to
be revived - https://github.com/dlang/dub/pull/1490)
- cached dub registry index

Though I think if we crowd-fund this campaign, we should make a
list of the top 20-30 issues and then let everyone vote on them.