Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Tourist gravatar at gravatar.com
Sun Apr 14 15:16:09 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 10:48:15 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 08:47:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 4/14/2019 1:33 AM, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
>>> The DMD codebase suffers from systemic misorganisation, both
>>> on the massive function level, and the complete lack of
>>> organisation of the files in the source directory.
>>
>> We're not going to get anywhere litigating that here. Defer to
>> DConf.
>
> I plan to ;)
>
>> > Small change are never going to fix those issues.
>>
>> There's an lot of low hanging fruit that needs doing.
>
> Be that as it may, I'm interested in bang for buck
> comprehensibility and navigability improvements. The low
> hanging stuff you're doing, while nice, is rather lower down
> my, and I'm sure many others, list of perceived bang for buck
> improvements.

I'm going by what I see in the discussion and the links shown,
not familiar with the codebase. YMMV.

Walter refactors on timeless programming principles, more
functional, more immutable, more encapsulation, more information
hiding. You don't care for those. You want to refactor file and
directory organization fluff based on personal preference and
fads.

The greatest mistake W&A did was to get contributors incapable of
doing original work. They bicker forever about reorganizations
that do nothing.