Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 15:24:32 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 15:12:33 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 15:04:39 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
> wrote:
>> On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 14:59:30 UTC, Chris wrote:
>>>

>> Spending dozens of hours spreading negativity on online forums
>> (of languages you don't like!) is the definition of lost time.
>
> Don't like? I used to like D very much and still do, it's not
> that I hate it all of a sudden. It's just that I can no longer
> use it due to various restrictions / issues that are down to
> bad management, nothing else. One has to be practical
> sometimes. If anything I'm sad.

Yes, I suspect people here honestly like D, and want it to be
more perfect, but it has to be reminded time and time again that
noone knows exactly what should be done - it's a bit like
predicting the future -, even if we did know, it's volunteer work
out of love so we cannot have that much direction (much less
impulsed from the outside).

Of course the community can have blind spots but I don't think
people would agree what those blind spots are.

"D is failing" has the attribute of a meme, if the number of
users are great, funding solify, more compilers and platform
support exist than ever before (without any seasonal hype) then
there is no real reason to worry about the competition.

Really I've heard it for 14 years, "listen to me because D is
failing".

OTOH An important metrics of an open-source project is
_well-being of contributors_, and their numbers, and that is the
prime attribute to cater for.

Hence why I think we get too much of a good thing (complaint
directly aimed at important contributors) that worsen the
situation it is supposed to improve.