Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Sun Apr 14 18:09:16 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 15:24:32 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:

> "D is failing" has the attribute of a meme, if the number of
> users are great, funding solify, more compilers and platform
> support exist than ever before (without any seasonal hype) then
> there is no real reason to worry about the competition.

This thread is kind of a self fulfilling prophecy. For those who
think D has failed, I suggest you just sit and wait until it
fails.

Just for comparison, a compiler that has failed (not the
language) is OpenWatcom. Last update was in 2010. It is dead
simply because there aren't any contributors and the reason is
that GCC and Clang is doing a better job. Watcom was a good
compiler back in its days though.

This is a list of "system programming languages" from Wikipedia.

ESPOL
PL/I
PL360
PL/S
BLISS
PL/8
PL-6
SYMPL
C++
Ada
Nim
Go
Rust
Swift

Apart from C/C++, which "system programming languages" has
succeeded here?
ESPOL, PL/I, PL360, PL/S, BLISS, PL/8, PL-6, SYMPL are old and
was more used when computers smelled brunt.
Ada is kind of successful but used more in military, avionics and
other critical SW. Very little used outside this domain though,
which is strange as it is supposed to be a safe language which is
seems to be the fad of today.
Nim, following is even smaller than D. Good language but rough
around the edges and not as consistent as it should be.
Rust, is that "modern" runner up and heavily promoted, the
language that is safe and is going to solve everything. I
disagree, I think it will not pick up because as soon you try to
do something more outside the box you will hit a brick wall.
Swift and Go, in my opinion don't belong here as my
interpretation of a "system programming language" is that it
shouldn't be dependent on a runtime. D is kind of in this
category as well but recent betterC development moved it into the
system programming language category.
There are probably more but these are little used that we don't
need to mention them here.

When it comes to other programming languages used for
applications then competitions really stiffens up. In this league
we have Python which is undoubtedly the current king among other
like C#, Java, Ruby on so on. If look at Python, the success is
really because it is so simple, intuitive, easy to find
information, massive library support, the complete opposite of
Rust why I think it is a dead end.

It is clear that C/C++ has a massive code base and users, that's
why these languages are on top and no other language seem to even
approach their usage. Many companies are hugely invested in C/C++
and that's why they must continue. That in mind it is absolute
killer feature of D to have a C/C++ FFI that many other languages
don't have. Nim, has some of this. Rust goes nuts if you talk to
any other language. How many know that you can mix D with C++?

If you look at the other languages (except C/C++) do you still
think D has failed? I certainly don't think so, it is right there
among the competitors.

Some talk about the failure of the management of D, that might be
so however I don't think it is too late to improve this.