Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Andre Pany andre at s-e-a-p.de
Mon Apr 15 10:47:39 UTC 2019

On Monday, 15 April 2019 at 10:09:40 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
> On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 20:48:44 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
> wrote:
>> On 4/14/19 2:09 PM, IGotD- wrote:
>>> That in mind it is absolute killer feature of D to have a
>>> C/C++ FFI that many other languages don't have.
>>
>> I agree, and sadly it's not a popular enough opinion. A couple
>> of years ago I called on the phone two of our most promising
>> contributors who asked what they should help with, and pitched
>> the core.stdcpp project. They both declined it. No hard
>> feelings - we're grateful enough they chose to do other things
>> within the D milieu -, but it goes to show that planning and
>> "finding a guy" and telling people what to work on is easier
>> said than done, at least for me. I'm glad Manu has taken point
>> on that, wished he got wider help.
>
> I have considered using D for a long time, and yet haven't. The
> reasons are maybe applicable to many. Ultimately it boils down
> to what you need to do to make a living. If you had tons of
> spare money you can probably afford to work on something you
> like or think is good; but if you need to earn then you have to
> go where the demand is.
>
> The tooling (editor and debugger) is important too for anyone
> that wants to get the job done or suggest D to an organisation.
> Here is a proposal:
>
> Freeze D development for 2 years and redirect all energy to
> tooling.

Could you please tell what do you miss from the tooling? For me
Intellij D plugin combined with language server works like a
charme. Code completion, linter, formatting, everything works
fine  Dub is working perfectly for all my use cases. I was never
in need to really start the debugger but debugging is working to
some extend in windows and is working fine on linux. I am even
able to develop applications in windows and using WSL directly
compile and debug them on linux.

Kind regards
Andre