DUB - call to arms

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 19:52:10 UTC 2019

On Monday, 15 April 2019 at 16:37:38 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:
> I've personally put a lot of effort into trying to fix DUB's
> problems in the past. Though I would be happy to be proven
> wrong, at this point, I'm all but convinced the problems with
> DUB are far too fundamental.
>
> I know this is the sort of proposal that makes people cringe,
> and often for good reason, but in this case, I really do think
> it would be quicker, easier, and produce a better result to
> simply re-design it from the ground up (while making sure to
> leverage the existing code.dlang.org ecosystem in some say),
> than to try to wrangle this 600lb gorilla into something it was
> never designed to be.
>
> I've long been hoping to take a stab at this myself, and I
> often find myself thinking through details of how it would
> work. I would, however, need help with the
> dependency-resolution algorithm (perhaps somebody could go into
> DUB and work to decouple its dep resolution algoritms from the
> rest DUB as much as possible - or at least document how to
> interface with it as a lib).

I've tried paying MrSmith33 to write a DUB replacement for a
while.
I think the "incremental" camp is 80% right saying that a DUB
rewrite is a pipe dream in large parts.

However if you want to build on that small attempt, don't
hesitate to pick what you like:
https://gitlab.com/AuburnSounds/rub (coined "idub" for a pun)

In the end it needs a dedicated programmer with a _principled_
vision, but I'm sure some money would find your way, maybe not
much though.

I think recipe files (which format, we'll disagree on) and the
registry are good and MUST be kept.