DUB - call to arms

bachmeier no at spam.net
Mon Apr 15 19:57:13 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 11:27:18 UTC, Jacob Shtokolov wrote:
> On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 10:53:17 UTC, Seb wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The problem
>> -----------
>
> Hey guys, maybe this is an offtopic (which could sound
> heretical btw), but didn't you ever think about writing a
> package manager using some scripting languages like Python or
> JavaScript?
>
> The package manager is an infrastructure thing, so it not so
> critical as the rest of other tools.
>
> Maybe, a consideration of this idea would help to attract more
> people from the outside of the community, because there is a
> feeling that we're pretty much locked on the community itself.

I wonder what would possibly be gained from using Python or
Javascript. If the goal is to have developers that are not
current D users: (i) Why would they want to work on Dub? (ii) Why
would we turn over the development of critical infrastructure to
someone that doesn't know D and isn't interested in learning?

And then there's the marketing: D community rewrites critical
infrastructure in an alternative language because D doesn't cut
it. A better decision would be to shut down the project entirely.