food for thought - swift 5 released - bottom types, string interpolation, and stuff.

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Apr 15 23:18:17 UTC 2019

On 4/13/19 8:34 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 13.04.19 10:22, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:
>>
>> It's probably because there's nothing in Swift that appeals to the
>> same sheeple who consider it perfectly normal and acceptable in 2019
>> to hand your entire machine over to a randomly-activated process that
>> hijacks all control over your own personal physical property
>> (including the ability to close the lid, unplug it, and stick it into
>> its own stupid carrying case so you can drive the F*&*ck home without
>> corrupting the entire freaking operating system) for an *unspecified*
>> number of **HOURS**, while requiring both fast internet access and
>> ZERO interactivity, so it can perform the absolute most
>> poorly-implemented update process **in computing history**, at its own
>> discretion, while silently disabling your complex, hard-to-discover,
>> unintuitively-activated pro-privacy settings.
>
> I'm not sure why similar arguments do not apply to users of Apple devices.

Dunno. I haven't really used Apple devices much in a good while (not a
fan for various reasons), but based on what I have seen, Windows Update
is faaar worse as of...around Win7? XP? I forget...and has only gotten
*worse* with Win10. And I'm not talking OS upgrades, just the ordinary
regular updates.

Do Apple devices regularly do force-updates just upon normal
shutdown/startup and then take as many as 4 or even 8 or so hours to
complete? 'Cause I've seen that on many people's Windows computers many
times.