dub -> meson

9il ilyayaroshenko at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 05:11:29 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 16 April 2019 at 02:30:25 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
> On 16/04/2019 2:15 PM, Julian wrote:
>>
>>> 4. Ability to compile and configure D code with other
>>> languages like C/C++.
>>
>> That's a surprising oversight. Was it intentional?
>
> Out of scope. Dub was only meant to handle D programs using
> minimal external dependencies and for this purpose it has
> succeeded.

I don't think so. For example, dub does not allow to compile
selected dependencies in release builds, while the current
project in debug mode. This is a common case for numeric
libraries like mir-glas (blas), mir-optim and etc.
So, we need to call dub as prebuild command
https://github.com/libmir/mir-glas/blob/master/dub.json#L28

For simple system dependencies dub force users to define
configuration monsters like that for mir-blas:
https://github.com/libmir/mir-blas/blob/master/dub.sdl

Maybe configurations for vibe.d and other packages looks no so
monstrous, however for my uses cases, it adds a lot of pain.
Also, this pain in inherited by dependencies:
https://github.com/libmir/mir-lapack/blob/master/dub.sdl
https://github.com/kaleidicassociates/lubeck/blob/master/dub.sdl