food for thought - swift 5 released - bottom types, string interpolation, and stuff.

JN 666total at wp.pl
Tue Apr 16 06:54:43 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 16 April 2019 at 06:12:41 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Needless to say, my wife & I were very unhappy about that
> "security update" taking many hours to install itself (IIRC we
> gave up waiting and left it to run overnight), during which she
> couldn't get any work done, and after which we were confronted
> with a brand new installation with a completely new, unfamiliar
> desktop with stuff randomly moved around so they weren't in the
> familiar places anymore, and random applications went "missing"
> or no longer working because they're now gratuitously
> incompatible with the OS, and thus required wasting several
> *more* hours to relearn how to operate the silly "desktop",
> reinstall/reconfigure stuff, and move icons back to where they
> used to be.  Talk about adding insult to the injury of
> essentially having our arm twisted to upgrade to Win 10 even
> though we consciously decided *not* to when we bought the
> laptop in the first place.

I have a different experience. Windows 10 is one of my favourite
OSes. I didn't really like Windows XP that much. Sure, it was
better than 98, but it was buggy and unstable. 7 was a very solid
OS. Vista had a rough launch, but was OK overall. 8 was a bit
awkward with the metro interface, but they fixed most of it in
8.1.

I don't ever have problems with updates. They usually install
when I leave my PC to go to bed, and it doesn't take more than
5-10 minutes to update.

Also, I'd love to get an update to 10 on my old laptop,
unfortunately I missed the opportunity, so now I am stuck on
Windows 8.1 there :( I installed Ubuntu with Unity instead,
because it's the only Linux desktop environment I can stand, but
it's not supported anymore, so yeah...