dub -> meson

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 12:19:41 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 16 April 2019 at 01:45:26 UTC, 9il wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 'DUB - call to arms' post by Seb
> https://forum.dlang.org/post/unimbbqxosxcmjdhtzch@forum.dlang.org
>
> Hope we will move other direction and extend Meson build system
> with better D support and make a new Dlang registry.

Why would we need a new registry? Even if we did, how would we
convince the existing users that switching would be in their best
interests?

> Reasons to move forward with Meson:
>
> 0. Progressive and large community
> 1. Has clear python source code: faster to extend, easier to
> maintain.

This wouldn't be too important since said extension should really
only be done once.

> 2. D+Meson already used in production: last year it is a major
> build system for all of Mir and its commercial applications.

My usage of meson with D revealed how bad its dub integration was.

> 3. Meson language is super cool. It is much better than dub for
> commercial projects, for large projects, for library
> distribution.

Anything is better than dub as a build system, including raw make.

> 4. Ability to compile and configure D code with other languages
> like C/C++.

AFAIK, reggae, CMake and Premake can all do this as well.

> 5. With Meson we don't need to catch up Rust, we can do better
> than Rust with fewer resources.

I don't know what this means. They seem to be doing fine with
cargo.