DUB - call to arms

Dragos Carp dragoscarp at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 17:08:22 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 10:53:17 UTC, Seb wrote:
> Hi all,

I have a different proposal.

One of the goals of D is the interoperability with C/C++ and
interoperability in general. Because of that I think it really
make sens to not reinvent the wheel, but to have good support for
an already existing tool.
Since a couple of months I'm using Bazel, and I like it. Not
necessary the implementation (is big and Java), but the concepts
behind it. So I'm already working right now on improving the D
support [1]: adding more tests, supporting more compiler
versions, etc.

So my plan is:
  - add tests: supporting d libraries, exectuables, tests and
C++/D hybrid applications
  - add compiler version selection
  - ldc and gcc support
  - dub .json, .sdl -> bazel BUILD file converter (not foolproof).
If necessary, manual intervention is acceptable.
  - add windows support
  - write a D starlark [2] implementation
  - rewrite bazel in D. Probably this will never happen, but maybe
the subset sufficent to cover the dub functionality will be
doable.

If somebody else is interested to join to this effort, please
give me a sign.

Dragos

[1] https://github.com/bazelbuild/rules_d
[2] https://docs.bazel.build/versions/master/skylark/language.html