dub -> meson

JN 666total at wp.pl
Tue Apr 16 19:19:27 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 16 April 2019 at 16:42:24 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 06:13:30AM +0000, JN via Digitalmars-d
> wrote: [...]
> What we really need is a dub replacement that has a different,
> more flexible design that can accomodate things that people
> want to do, that the current dub simply cannot due to its
> design limitations.  There are some promising ideas in the
> other thread about improving dub, and I hope that discussion
> will eventually lead to a redesign / revamp of dub that makes
> it more viable for my use case.

Dub replacement doesn't sound good. D ecosystem is fragmented
enough, no need to add additional split dub/dub replacement. I
think it'd be best to just start with dub and try to improve on
it. Cargo could be used as an inspiration, looks to me like in
Cargo, CMake and Meson and other build systems are added as
dependencies (https://docs.rs/meson/1.0.0/meson/
https://crates.io/crates/cmake ). Perhaps something like this
could be adapted for dub. Some kind of plugin system, with
optional cmake and meson plugins.