DUB - call to arms

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Wed Apr 17 08:36:23 UTC 2019

On 17/04/2019 8:27 PM, NaN wrote:
> On Wednesday, 17 April 2019 at 08:06:13 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>> On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 03:48 -0400, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via
>> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>>
>> […]
>>>
>>> Oh, don't get me wrong, there's a whole BUNCH of things I'd like to
>>> see
>>> on this particular list, and that definitely includes your
>>> suggestion. I
>>> left it at "not necessarily limited to..." for good reason ;)
>> […]
>>
>> The problem here is that people are having lots of ideas on this email
>> list, but no-one is choosing to collate them into a an actual "call to
>> action". As ever in an ever extending email thread the energy to do
>> something within the D community dissipates and nothing ends up
>> happening.
>>
>> Perhaps we should make the hack day at DConf 2019 "get something
>> actually moving on this" day.
>>
>> Or perhaps people will continue to say stuff on very long email threads
>> and end up doing nothing. This is the third such thread on Dub I can
>> remember, the previous two ended up with no  outcomes other than lots
>> of opinions in very long email threads.
>
> The people who are actually going to do the work should setup a private
> group somewhere. These sprawling threads on the public newsgroup dilute
> not just the vision but also the motivation.

Over on Discord we have the Graphics work group which is working out
quite well. Still very early on work wise so we've kept quite quiet
about it.

We have done our best to set aside our opinions and do research to find
out the requirements before writing code with a majority in agreement
before decisions / pulling of code. It would be a good model to
replicate if a few people came together and decided to start work on a
new (although compatible) build system.