DUB - call to arms

bachmeier no at spam.net
Wed Apr 17 15:34:11 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 17 April 2019 at 14:09:06 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:

> Please be more precise. Dub does a perfect job if you have
> standalone D applications. There are issues, as I understand,
> if you have complex integration scenarios with C/C++.
>
> Dub is built by the community for the community. I also had to
> create some pull reduests to get all my scenarios working and
> now everything works for my scenarios like a charme.
>
> Maybe for complex integration scenarios another build tool has
> to be used. Or maybe Dub has to be improved to support complex
> scenarios.
>
> I do not see any management issue here.
> If you (to all) have issues, please consider creating pull
> requests.

Well clearly others disagree with you. You are saying "it works
for me - make changes to the source code and submit a PR if you
don't like it."

That is not an answer. It excludes anyone new to D, anyone that
uses D but does not have time to work on Dub, or anyone that
doesn't have the ability to make changes to Dub as needed for
acceptance. No such requirement exists for using any other
language to my knowledge, and I've used a lot of languages over
the years. If this is the path that will be taken, there is no
point speculating why the language isn't used more, especially in
commercial settings. There's not even a starting point for using
the language if these issues are not resolved.

Dub is an official project because it is included with DMD and it
is the recommended (and for the most part only) way to distribute
D code. It needs to be taken seriously.