DUB - call to arms

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed Apr 17 17:12:54 UTC 2019

On 4/17/19 4:06 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 03:48 -0400, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
> […]
>>
>> Oh, don't get me wrong, there's a whole BUNCH of things I'd like to
>> see
>> on this particular list, and that definitely includes your
>> suggestion. I
>> left it at "not necessarily limited to..." for good reason ;)
> […]
>
> The problem here is that people are having lots of ideas on this email
> list, but no-one is choosing to collate them into a an actual "call to
> action".

FWIW, the only reason I was being non-canonical about desired features
in a package manager is that (from experience) I wanted to avoid
pie-in-the-sky up-front design and focus first on the core necessities -
additional niceties can come later, on top of a solid working core.

> As ever in an ever extending email thread the energy to do
> something within the D community dissipates and nothing ends up
> happening.

Actually, I've been fired up enough about this for a good while to put
my code where my mouth is (I just have a bad habit of spreading myself
too thin dev-wise, and having too much other life crap getting in the
way). And, personally, I find this to be D's biggest current stumbling
block, even moreso than anything in the language or compiler (which is
probably good that I feel that way, because I'm pretty much
out-of-my-league when it comes to hacking on the compiler). So note my