DUB - call to arms

Julian julian.fondren at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 20:32:28 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 17 April 2019 at 20:10:08 UTC, JN wrote:
> "I find this to be D's biggest current stumbling block, even
> moreso than anything in the language or compiler" - really? The
> biggest D stumbling block is the fact that it's not easy to set
> up a mixed C/C++ project with D? How many projects of that kind
> are there even? How about issues such as crappy std.xml long
> overdue for replacement (I could list more but I don't want to
> derail this thread)?

Is there no good C or C++ XML library that you could make a
std.xml
alternative out of? Maybe there'd be a dub package that you could
just grab and use for now, that wrapped one, if this were an
option
for dub.

Consider std.regex and
https://github.com/jrfondren/topsender-bench
The fastest std.regex option is more than 10x slower than libc
regex, which is already too slow to seriously use for anything but
once-off tasks. (I put a thread in learn about this. None of the
other suggestions there made any significant change to
performance.) When the first thing someone'd try is ** 140x **
slower than the Python script they didn't even think about
optimizing, I can't say it benefits D that nobody can say "oh yeah
just dub add pcre and change your import"