Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri Apr 19 04:15:10 UTC 2019

On 4/12/19 3:35 AM, Tofu Kaitlyn wrote:

> I put on my resume that I like D and every
> interview I get asked about it, having to explain what D even is because
> they have never heard of it. I have never seen a job posting listing D.

FWIW, compared to programmers, software managers and *especially* HR
folk tend to be behind the curve on knowing what's out there, and the
general state of things.

I'm definitely with you on the frustration, but here's a couple
perspectives that I try to remind myself which might help (maybe they'll
help you more than they help me! ;) ):

1. *Every* programmer knows one or a few of the "popular" languages:
Python, JavaScript, C/C++, Java/C#, etc. But those common-denominator
languages have limitations D lacks. Knowing and liking D gives you a
secret ace up your sleeve, an advantage over others, anytime the brass
needs something done and doesn't care how. Ok, so, what, every hiring
manager asks you about it? That's a *GOOD* potential for you - it means
you have the potential to offer them something that clearly nobody else
has ever offered them, and they haven't even dreampt of finding.

2. If you can convince them that you *do* know the main
common-denominator garbage language(s) they use and you're happy with it
and  genuinely willing to use it (that sort of "putting up with crap" is
what separates bringing in $$$ from doing volunteer OSS work), then
you're almost there...At that point, all you have to do is keep in mind:
Your passion and knowledge and (this is key here) **ability to
evangelize and clearly articulate** the details/differences/benefits of
an ADDITIONAL language that **even their** pointy-haired brains have
never even heard of(!!), yet could potentially benefit them (or better
yet, give them a hidden advantage...mua ha ha ha ha)...Well, at that
point, if you've sold it right and they're not too terribly dense (which
would be a bad sign for your future happiness there anyway), then
congratulations, you've just helped sell yourself to them and
distinguished yourself from the unwashed masses.

Granted, this is all just theory, I can't guarantee success from it,
and...frankly I've never personally tried. Personally, the route I took
instead was to just supplement my freelance income by picking up a part
time job doing shelving at the local public library. They absolutely
*love* that I can alphabetize and do basic sorting without fucking it
all up (I don't think they know it, but my experience with algorithms
and optimization helps me here - and I was shit at alphabetical order
until I started working there, had to constantly go though the alphabet
song in my head for the first year or two). But then *I* love that I get
something actually reliable (however small it may be) as an income while
getting out of the house/cubicle/office, around people occasionally
practicing basic human interaction, and still being useful while getting
to shut most of my brain off. So to each their own, hope you find your
niche! And this support group will continue to meet every Thursday
evening, bring a friend, refreshments will be served. ;)