Where is D language?

Julian julian.fondren at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 05:42:17 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 17 April 2019 at 17:03:21 UTC, Julian wrote:
> I'd never heard of this 'codingame' site until you mentioned it.

I took a look and this site's surprisingly fun. It doesn't have a
lot of
languages though, and the C stubs use scanf() which should be at
least a felony
offense or cause for anathema. It's clear that it's not the same
person writing
all the code. The other thread has an offer to write the D stubs,
but maybe
"here's the stubs" would be more persuasive.

The version of this thread on their forums looks pretty hopeless,
though.  If
anyone's more interested, you might want to start with the
Discord linked here:
https://www.codingame.com/playgrounds/40701/contribute---help/why-contribute

The languages they have now are:

   C#
   C++
   Java
   Javascript (sic)
   Python3
   Bash
   Clojure
   Dart
   F#
   Go
   Groovy
   Haskell
   Kotlin
   Lua
   ObjectiveC
   OCaml
   Pascal
   Perl
   PHP
   Python
   Ruby
   Rust
   Scala
   Swift
   VB.NET

It's a strange list. TIOBE top 20 minus SQL (#8), assembler
(#10), MATLAB
(#12), R (#16), with additions that rank lower than D on TIOBE:
Dart (-3), Lua
(-7), Scala (-8), Rust (-11), F# (-18), Clojure (-22), Haskell
(-23).

So, probably the languages they feel obliged to support, plus
what they're
personally interested in. A criteria like "let's get *very
different* languages"
should've pulled in Prolog, Forth, and an APL, at least. One like
"let's
augment the TIOBE languages with [languages that pragprog.com has
books for]"
should've pulled Erlang or Elixir. One like "let's augment these
fuddy-duddy
languages with [their future replacements]" should've pulled
Crystal, Nim, D,
maybe Reason. Not Perl6 though.