Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Apr 19 17:58:24 UTC 2019

On 4/19/19 1:39 PM, bachmeier wrote:
> A good example of this, as I mentioned there is the latest thread on
> fixing Dub's problems. There are two people who want to have the final
> say on everything, but they are completely silent about a critical piece
> of official infrastructure because it's not interesting to them. There
> is plenty of manpower willing to do the work, but at this point there
> are useless conversations on the mailing list because nobody has
> authority to make decisions, so nothing will come of those conversations.

I've had a number of answers to your framing lack of work on dub as a
leadership problem. Deleted them all after chatting with a friend for a
couple of hours. Let me just point it that at a certain level you are
definitely right - that dub has problem _is_ a leadership problem. The
trick is figuring out what the level is.

Sönke Ludwig is the point of contact for Dub according to
https://wiki.dlang.org/People. He, Martin, and Seb have had as much
decision power as they wanted to with that project. Walter and I have
accepted to integrate dub with the distribution after much insistence
under an implied social contract that has since decayed.

This seems like a very important project to you, so I would be glad to
grant you, bachmeier, full decision power with dub and update the points
of contact appropriately. This is not cheeky - I am serious. Please advise.