DUB - call to arms

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri Apr 19 19:54:45 UTC 2019

On 4/19/19 2:19 AM, Russel Winder wrote:

> Looking at Gradle, Maven, Cargo, Go, Conan, the choice is for integrated
> dependency management and build. Dub it would seem has taken the right overall
> approach,

Well, it certainly seems to have taken a *popular* approach. I wouldn't
necessarily take that as implying the "right" approach (for us).

> just not gone an implementation route that serves D the way Cargo
> serves Rust.

Maybe. But there's two things I think you're overlooking:

1. Differences in manpower.
2. Differences in situation/requirements.

1: Getting something like that right, without being overly-limited,
amounts to quite a significant project in terms of manpower and, though
I could be wrong, my perspective is that those communities have had more
manpower to put into such a project than we have. At the very least, I
think DUB has proven it's a poor approach for our current level of manpower.

2: D currently has plenty of buildsystem options to choose from, there's
likely to be something for everyone. BUT, what D completely lacks right
now, and desperately needs IMO, is a good package manager that's
non-restrictive enough to suit everyone's needs. Making the D community
wait to get that until we *finally* manage to work out our own
one-buildsystem-to-rule-them-all (which we're currently nowhere near) is
a terrible strategic approach for our current position.

Later on, if a D buildsystem that works great for everyone's needs
actually manages to emerge...THEN we can integrate our package manager
with it.