Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Apr 19 21:37:14 UTC 2019

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 02:28:26PM +0000, burjui via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> There should not be 3 different compilers, all managed by different
> parts of the community.
[...]

Sorry, I find this statement outright ridiculous.  In the past, we had
only 1 compiler, and the doomsayers complained that D only has 1
compiler, seeing it as proof that D is niche and not worthy of attention
-- because otherwise compiler writers would be falling over themselves
to write implementations of the language and producing multiple
compilers for it.  Now that we have 3 compilers, the doomsayers complain
that we should only have 1 compiler, and see having 3 compilers as proof
that something is wrong.

So who are we supposed to listen to?!  If we go back to having only 1
compiler now, I'll bet the next naysayer would drop by and say that
having only 1 compiler is proof that D is dead.

Ridiculous, I say.  Utterly ridiculous.  D does have its problems, I'm
not gonna whitewash that.  But this 1 compiler vs. many compilers thing
has *nothing* to do with it, and is completely ridiculous, even
illogical.

Never wrestle a pig. You both get covered in mud, and the pig likes it.