DUB - call to arms

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Apr 20 06:08:29 UTC 2019

On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 01:14:12AM -0400, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 4/19/19 5:58 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[...]
> > Yes. I for one dumped Gradle shortly after starting my Android
> > project, because it just didn't let me do what I need to do, or at
> > least not easily.  Gradle expects your typical Java codebase with
> > standard source tree structure.  I needed D codegen and
> > cross-compilation as integral parts of my build.  The two ... let's
> > just say, don't work very well together.  It's the "my way or the
> > highway" philosophy all over again.
>
> No big surprise why a "my way or the highway philosophy" is more
> successful with a JVM audience than a D audience ;)
>
> Like I alluded to: different language -> different audience ->
> different needs and requirements -> different "right" answers.

What I have trouble comprehending is, the technology needed to support
*both* use cases already exists.  So why not use it??  Why arbitrarily
exclude certain use cases in favor of one specific one, when there is no
technological reason not to support all use cases?  We already have the
tech to fly to the moon and back, yet we arbitrarily impose the
restriction that the aircraft must remain in contact with the runway at
all times, because some grandma on the plane is scared of heights (aka
codebases that don't conform to the One True Way To Organize And Build
Source Code).  It doesn't make any sense to me.

It's bad luck to be superstitious. -- YHL