Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

bioinfornatics bioinfornatics at fedoraproject.org
Sat Apr 20 09:19:59 UTC 2019

On Friday, 12 April 2019 at 07:35:05 UTC, Tofu Kaitlyn wrote:
> Sorry for that title, but this is something I have been
> thinking about for a while...
>
> I honestly feel like D is a failure. I kinda just wanted to
> vent about it and see what other people think.
>
> I have been using D since around 2012 or 2013, instantly fell
> in love, use to post on the forms a lot under the name Tofu
> Ninja. I was convinced D was the future but since then I have
> become disheartened. The biggest thing that makes me feel like
> this is that in the 7 years I have been using D I literally
> have never met another programmer IRL who has even heard of it.
> I put on my resume that I like D and every interview I get
> asked about it, having to explain what D even is because they
> have never heard of it. I have never seen a job posting listing
> D. Never see any projects pop up on /r/programming using D. It
> feels like to the rest of the programming universe, D doesn't
> even exist. Sometimes I see threads on reddit like "what's your
> favorite programming language" and I always look for D but
> never find it.
>
> And honestly I don't think that is going to change. I feel like
> D has failed.
>
> I duno... what do yall think? Is D going to somehow explode in
> popularity in 5-10 years? Am I missing some part of the
> picture? Or am I right and if so what can be done about it?

D is great language it now not a young old.

We know all what D are missing to be great, globally we see the
trend of the industry which is focus on feature from libraries
and framework:
- to be secure
- to generate easily a web app with micro-architecture (see
jhipster)
- create easily a web app (see the success of ruby they are some
years ago and now python through Django, Flask …)
- to be efficient and middle/high level (see Spark, and for
statistician/datalake user tools like zeppelin which make
beautiful graphic form a datalake)
- to be able to use a powerful deeplearning library even if you
are low in programming skills (see tensorflow, keras and other)
- to be shareable easily (what about to have a builder able to
generate a container automatically , that save user time so they
like it)

I agree now that D have failed on many way:
- Dmd hast started with something like than some pieces of code
was not totally free
-> imply bad buzz and increased the sense of rejection from c++
community
- D1 to D2 was again a disaster
-> implying again a bad buzz and increased the sense of rejection
from c++ community
-> Dub could be good but I do not like it as a fedorapackager and
has a packager for a HPC center.
Dub do not support staged build which is a standard and it is
hard to work with it in a offline environment
-> D intellisense is not easy to enable from IDE as we have to
build several tools to get it
-> multiple compiler dmd, ldc is now seen as a waste of time from
a non-D community