Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Sat Apr 20 09:50:41 UTC 2019

On Monday, 15 April 2019 at 13:41:46 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
> Secondly it takes time and effort to master a language such as
> D. Unless someone is hiring C/C++/Java/C# programmers and is
> willing to let them learn D on the job

This is exactly what Sociomantic did.  Time to learn and be
productive in the language was never really an issue for anyone
-- in the end we came to the conclusion that looking for domain
expertise (e.g. network programming, machine learning, etc. etc.)
was much more important than specific language backgrounds.

Sure, it can take time to master the finer nuances or more niche
language features, but D is super easy to adapt to in my
experience.

If anything, the harder adaptation was for those of us who _did_
arrive with a D background, coming in all guns blazing wanting to
write really cool sophisticated D code and having to learn that,
where really robust production code is concerned, sometimes a
less sophisticated approach is better ... ;-)