Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 20 21:04:28 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 20 April 2019 at 06:34:17 UTC, JN wrote:
> If the LDC was the only compiler, I don't think people would
> complain as much (based on popular 'compiler framework',
> crossplatform, great codegen).

I'm pretty sure Iain would =P

But seriously though, in light of the recent MLIR keynote at
EuroLLVM (really worth a watch if you're into compilers) I'm
beginning to see the addition of more layers of IR as a tradeoff
between time spent compiling and and runtime performance and so I
see DMD as a useful -O0 ("No" IR) and then LDC as a useful
-O{1,2,3} with LLVM IR, and hopefully in the future LDC + a D
MLIR dialect ( / the various LinAlg ones) for -O3+ where every
drop of perf matters.

I'll definitely be looking into doing some MLIR suff at some
point, its a pity that GSOC is so close, I would have loved to
put forward a project outline on it. Oh well maybe next year.