Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Dibyendu Majumdar d.majumdar at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 16:44:03 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 20 April 2019 at 14:36:36 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> Experienced C++ programmers don't seem to be deterred by the
> prospect of having to learn D.  In fact they seem to see it as
> a hard-to-manufacture positive signal about the culture.
>
> I received an email from one person peripherally involved in the
> community.  I asked his compensation expectations and he said X,
> but I can negotiate if you're really using D.  He didn't even
> want
> to write D at work mostly but he saw it as a positive signal.
>
> I think the cost of learning D is small in relation to the cost
> of
> having to learn the context and codebase, certainly for a
> younger
> company.  For a large firm where everything is in place and it's
> mostly maintenance possibly it would be different.
>
> There aren't so many firms I am aware of with a similar approach
> in finance; being open to unconventional approaches like using
> an
> emerging language is a reflection of that, but really whether
> someone is a good fit in other respects but just is put off by
> some technical choices - I have not encountered that so far and
> find it quite difficult to imagine.

Hi, I was referring to the fact that there is very little / no
demand for D programmers generally so it doesn't help attract
programmers who might be better off learning Go, Rust, Swift,
Kotlin etc.

My own experience was that I chose C++ over D three years ago in
a project where D would have been nice to use, and I have already
stated the reasons in a previous post
[https://forum.dlang.org/post/crwhrrbdpaydnqfmdzfp@forum.dlang.org].