Re: [OT] “Raise the nose, HAL.” “I’m sorry, Dave, I’m afraid I can’t do that.”

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Apr 21 20:28:31 UTC 2019

Since I griped about the qualifications of the author, I suppose I should say
what mine are:

1. My degree is in Mechanical Engineering, with a minor in Aero and Astronautics.

2. I'm not a pilot. I've "flown" flight simulators. That doesn't mean squat.

3. I spent 3 years working on the 757 stabilizer trim system design. I also did
verification work on the stability of the elevator system. I had many long and
enjoyable conversations with the "old salts" there who were passing on their
institutional knowledge to me. It was probably the best part of my experience there.

4. I've been writing software professionally for 40 years. None of it was flight
control software.

5. My father was a career military pilot. I grew up hearing all about flying all
the time. I'm interested in it, and have read extensively on aviation, mostly
about design. None of this is quantifiable.

Many facets of this have crept into D's design :-) You'd think there'd be
nothing in common, but that is incorrect. The software industry and best
practices could learn a lot from aviation experience.