Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

bachmeier no at spam.net
Mon Apr 22 13:11:44 UTC 2019

On Friday, 19 April 2019 at 17:58:24 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 4/19/19 1:39 PM, bachmeier wrote:
>> A good example of this, as I mentioned there is the latest
>> thread on fixing Dub's problems. There are two people who want
>> to have the final say on everything, but they are completely
>> silent about a critical piece of official infrastructure
>> because it's not interesting to them. There is plenty of
>> manpower willing to do the work, but at this point there are
>> useless conversations on the mailing list because nobody has
>> authority to make decisions, so nothing will come of those
>> conversations.
>
> I've had a number of answers to your framing lack of work on
> dub as a leadership problem. Deleted them all after chatting
> with a friend for a couple of hours. Let me just point it that
> at a certain level you are definitely right - that dub has
> problem _is_ a leadership problem. The trick is figuring out
> what the level is.
>
> Sönke Ludwig is the point of contact for Dub according to
> https://wiki.dlang.org/People. He, Martin, and Seb have had as
> much decision power as they wanted to with that project. Walter
> and I have accepted to integrate dub with the distribution
> after much insistence under an implied social contract that has
> since decayed.
>
> This seems like a very important project to you, so I would be
> glad to grant you, bachmeier, full decision power with dub and
> update the points of contact appropriately. This is not cheeky
> - I am serious. Please advise.

If you'd like, I will be happy to help out by summarizing Dub
complaints that have been posted on the mailing list and
collecting additional complaints and proposed solutions. I can
follow the DIP model we have in place. Once things are organized
(as opposed to random comments by random people on the mailing
list) those who are able and willing to do the work can make the
decisions. I have no formal CS background and no commercial
development experience, and haven't used Dub much after giving up
in frustration, so I would not be the right person to make these
decisions.