[OT] “Raise the nose, HAL.” “I’m sorry, Dave, I’m afraid I can’t do that.”

Tony tonytdominguez at aol.com
Tue Apr 23 08:27:49 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 23 April 2019 at 08:06:14 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi wrote:
> The Proposed Fix
>
> Boeing have been working on a software modification to MCAS
> since the Lion Air accident. Unfortunately although originally
> due for release in January it was not released due to both
> engineering challenges and differences of opinion among some
> federal and company safety experts over how extensive the
> changes should be.

To me this is incredible. A plane crashes. The manufacturer
begins working on a "software modification" as a result of the
crash (if they weren't actually working on it all along knowing
the design they got approved was bogus), which is actually a bug
fix/design fix. Yet the plane is still allowed to fly before the
fix is tested and installed and there is also no warning issued
to all the airlines letting them know there is a problem that
resulted in fatalities and a fix is not yet available - so get
thorough training on how to handle an MCAS system failure. And
then - knowing they haven't installed their fix - after a second
plane crashes and with "don't have the full details yet to know
if there is any relationship" as a rationale, the recommendation
of the FAA and Boeing is "keep flying 737 MAX 8s".