Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Apr 26 09:42:59 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 25 April 2019 at 20:01:29 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 April 2019 at 11:27:53 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> As regards maintenance, with D I used to lose a lot of time
>> fixing my code from one compiler version to the next (what a
>> waste of time)
>
> If you think it was a waste of time, you could just have
> continued without updating. All releases are still there.
> http://downloads.dlang.org/releases/
>
> Bastiaan.

Now tell me, how am I to profit from bug fixes and other
improvements? Well, sure, we could all stick to D1 but what's the
point then? The answer is _always_ the same here, "If you want
stability stick to an outdated version of dmd", but "if you want
feature X fixed, use the latest version of dmd, it's much more
stable now!". C'mon, give me a break. Other technologies have
caught up with D in many respects and there's no reason to keep
on putting up with D's chaos. All you guys will have left to say
is "But D had it first" - so what?