Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Apr 26 15:05:48 UTC 2019

On Friday, 26 April 2019 at 11:48:20 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:

> If there is profit, it isn't a complete waste. My point is: the
> decision whether the cost of adapting to deprecations is worth
> the benefit of upgrading is yours. If you think it was a net
> waste, you made the wrong decision.

Sooner or later you have to upgrade, the longer you wait the more
painful it becomes, I've been there. It's no longer as bad as it
used to be, though. My point was: to fight with deprecations,
warnings and errors is not something you should have to "invest"
in with every new version of dmd.

> We are porting half a million lines of code from a language
> that we are abandoning. Was it a waste to use that language?
> Not at all, we made quite a profit. Are we expecting the port
> to be profitable? Of course we do. Will we be welcoming future
> deprecations? Yes, because the long term benefits outweigh the
> short term annoyances. We want to port to a living language,
> and deprecations are part of life!
>
> Bastiaan.

Same here as I'm porting my D code to a different language...