DUB - call to arms

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Sat Apr 27 00:00:01 UTC 2019

On Friday, 26 April 2019 at 22:56:53 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
> On Friday, 26 April 2019 at 22:33:50 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 08:28:37PM +0000, H. S. Teoh via
>> Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
>>> According to Nick, every dub package carries its own
>>> description file (sdl/json) that encodes, among other things,
>>> its version and dependencies.  Apparently, this information
>>> resides per-package on code.dlang.org, and so every time dub
>>> has to resolve dependencies for a particular package, it has
>>> to download the description files of *every version* of the
>>> package??  Can somebody confirm whether or not this is really
>>> the case?
>> [...]
>>
>> Actually, nevermind that.  Dub already combines the
>> descriptions into a single file.  So the bottleneck(s) must
>> lie elsewhere...

> Also with recent Dub version a major performance optimization
> was done
> https://dlang.org/changelog/2.086.0.html#single-api-requests
>
> In addition Sebastian is also working on parallel dependencies
> download.
>
> Kind regards
> Andre

Unfortunately I'm not actively working on this. I have too many
other things on my plate. I just did a quick experiment and it
more than halfed the fresh build time for the tested projects
(the unzipping happens in parallel too). However, the quick
solution doesn't seem to work with older D versions.
In case anyone is interested:

https://github.com/dlang/dub/pull/1677