debugger

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 04:19:16 UTC 2019

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 6:51 PM Doc Andrew via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 25 April 2019 at 13:52:22 UTC, Martin Krejcirik
> wrote:
> > On Monday, 22 April 2019 at 17:26:27 UTC, Manu wrote:
> >> That's very old tech, modern D compilers (last 5 years) emit
> >> PDB directly.
> >
> > It is still needed to create a .pdb file. Or am I missing
> > something ?
>
> I think dmd will only emit the .pdb if compiling 64-bit code,
> because it doesn't use OPTLINK in that case.

DMD has 32bit and 64bit COFF output (`-m32coff` and `-m64`), but
neither is default. For some reason it still defaults to output 32bit
OMF output fit for the 1960's, despite my best efforts to convince to
change the default to something sensible for years.

> Is that what you
> mean? Just compile with the -m64, -debug and -g flags and the
> .pdb will be created in the same folder along with the rest of
> the output files.
>
> Another very good, often overlooked option for debugging on
> Windows is WinDbg - the MS one, not the weird (maybe just very
> outdated?) one that ships with dmd.
>
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/debugger-download-tools

Yeah the windows kernel debugger is a good debugger... but seriously,
just use VS + VisualD, there's no better experience for D that comes
even remotely close.