Does D have equivalent of Java util.concurrent?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Apr 28 08:05:48 UTC 2019

On Sun, 2019-04-28 at 00:13 +0000, Dibyendu Majumdar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Saturday, 27 April 2019 at 18:26:53 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
> > Concurrent features included in Phobos are nicely written down
> > here
> >
> > http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/concurrency.html
> > http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/parallelism.html
> > http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/concurrency_shared.html

std::parallelism uses a threadpool and tasks approach and provide parallelism
features harmonious with the D programming model.

The ForkJoin model at the heart of Doug's (and lots of other people now)
framework is not the only concurrency and parallelism tool in JDK, Streams
make use of the framework underneath but they provide a lot that has nothing
to do with the framework.

It could be argued that there is nothing in the JDK that cannot already be
done in D, that there is no point in porting the ForkJoin framework to D since
it would provide no new facility, that everything the port of ForkJoin would
offer is already available in D.

[…]

> I need to understand the model used by D. As a systems language
> it should not be imposing a programming model but it appears to
> do so here.

I do not understand this final sentence. All programming language from
assembly language, C, C++, D, Rust, Go (all of which claim to be systems
programming languages) provide a programming model.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200