Now that the dmd backend is in D...?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Aug 1 23:54:28 UTC 2019

On 8/1/2019 4:05 PM, Exil wrote:
> On Thursday, 1 August 2019 at 20:24:12 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> and is reasonably in sync with DMD. However, having endured multiple grand
>> reshufflings of the DMD source code, and having recently headed off yet
>> another one, I'm not much in favor of it.
>
> So D suffers and can't make any significant changes to the backend in order to
> accommodate an old dead project that isn't being actively developed?

In my not-so-humble experience, shuffling code about is too easy, usually an
illusion of progress (look ma! I changed lots of lines of code!).

Refactoring to improve the design and flow of the code is much harder, usually
requiring a thorough understanding of the code. Switching the backend to using
CodeBuilder is an example of such.