OT: C# now has ref and const ref return

Petar Petar
Wed Aug 7 09:12:03 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 6 August 2019 at 21:28:26 UTC, JN wrote:
> On Tuesday, 6 August 2019 at 14:25:05 UTC, Suliman wrote:
>> Personally I moved from D, to Dart because it's more look like
>> D3. A lot of modern and useful futures.
>
> I love Dart. I think it's one of the cleanest languages around.
> I love the language and I love the tools surrounding it (IDE
> support is quite nice). Unfortunately, it lacks value types and
> it's not really usable outside of web/server context.

I use Dart daily (at work we're writing a Flutter app) and I hate
every moment as every line reminds me that I could do much better
with D. I would gladly give up all of it's tooling if Flutter was
written in D.

Dart's tooling beats D's 10x, but D is at least 100x better
language, IMO. Of course the language is not all, which why sadly
I would need to stick to Dart for the time being.

On the plus side, Dart's language team seems to have more
experience with formal specifications and I have confidence that
NNBD will be a strong language addition.

On the minus side, Dart is very uninspiring and I have to
constantly write tons of boilerplate. And use code generation as
a separate build step. In isolation, it's type-system is
well-designed, but compared to other languages like TypeScript it
is seriously lacking in expressive power.

And of course, the runtime performance is shit (but that's not
surprising).

In both D and Dart I miss TypeScript's more advanced features:
https://www.typescriptlang.org/docs/handbook/advanced-types.html