OT: C# now has ref and const ref return

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Aug 7 14:19:50 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 7 August 2019 at 13:54:46 UTC, Ethan wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 August 2019 at 12:36:53 UTC, Bert wrote:
>
> Take my point one step further: Why has no one written a
> WPF-quality visual framework in C or C++? Or, if they have, why
> is it not more well known and in wider use?

They have.

Long before Qt was a thing, C++ Builder with VCL.

It never picked much steam, because Borland went astray and the
company that own it nowadays is happier to sell to corporations
with deep pockets instead of indie devs.

Then naturally Qt, QML is in fact kind of inspired on XAML just
with JavaScript based language instead of XAML.

Then there is UWP, first with C++/CX, now being rebranded as
WinUI and being implemented in C++17 with C++/WinRT framework.

Qt is not in wieder use due to religious C++ devs against moc and
many want free beer for their tools, but since they want to get
paid, don't like the dual licensing scheme from Qt.

As for UWP it is Windows 10 only, and many devs don't want to
compromise on that.